Friday, August 22, 2008

Finding Inspiration

There are two things that are sure to inspire me as a photographer: travel and viewing the work of other photographers.

I am constantly amazed and delighted by photos from my contacts at flickr. The best part of the flickr experience is the cross-fertilization that happens, the visual connections that are made, the thrill when someone sees the world similarly or very differently! I have come to know so many great photographers there.

To give you a taste of these visual connections I'll share an example from one of my oldest contacts. I first came across Mark Willocks' photos my first month on flickr. One of the first images I saw of his: Outside Looking In was of stone canyon walls that reminded me very much compositionally of one of my soft flowing textile shot. It made a surprising visual connection (that overlapping view has been repeated with Mark many times since with water, reflections, architecture, plants and flowers).




Here's a link to the work of other Flickr artists that I find inspiring and wonderful: Sue (Light~Shape~Color)'s Favorites on Flickriver

__________________________________________


The other reliable source of inspiration for me is traveling. My eyes are opened up by the fresh views all around me. Even things I might see in my own backyard take on a new look as I'm more aware of everything around me.

The world as I saw it in July was full of light, shape & color as I spent almost two weeks traveling in Northern Spain and Southern France. When traveling I try to take a few "snapshots" to remember the experience, but most of what I return with are abstracts and landscapes inspired by the colors and feel of a new place.

A collection of photos from my July trip:


No comments: